How much capital do you need for Online Trading? – Minimum Deposit
You want to know how high the starting capital should be in order to start Online Trading? – Then you have come to the right place. With more than 7 years of experience in the financial markets, we will explain to you in the following article about the possibilities and opportunities for newcomers. You will also learn with which account size which risk is possible. Inform yourself in detail before you start Online Trading.
Online Trading is possible with 1$ capital
Thanks to electronic trading you only need at least 1$ minimum deposit for online trading. Whether this really makes sense, we will also clarify in the following texts. Many brokers do not even need a minimum deposit. Real money accounts can be opened from 0$. However, there are also restrictions on certain financial products.
First use a free demo account:
Another method to start without seed capital is the demo account. It is an account with virtual credit (play money). Trading simulates trading real money at the same conditions. All known brokers offer a free demo account. This has the advantage that beginners can try trading first before they invest real money.
When trading in the demo account, you do not incur any costs. In addition, most demo accounts are unlimited and you can recharge them with virtual money at any time. Beginners and advanced traders can try new markets, strategies, and methods for trading without risk.
- With many providers you can open a real money account from 0$.
- A demo account is available free of charge with virtual credit.
Which financial products are suitable for Online Trading?
Not every financial product is suitable for a small amount of seed capital. In the following, we will give you a small overview. Altogether there are countless different financial products, which are traded either directly on the stock exchange or off-exchange (OTC).
- Forex (currency trading): When trading between currencies, only a very small starting capital is required. Positions can be opened with just a few cents of risk. In addition, it is possible to work with a lever and thus increase your profit. Small starting capital from 1$.
- CFD (Contract for Difference): CFDs are offered on all possible markets. It is an off-exchange trade between the trader and the broker. The advantage here is that you can also use very small capital. The CFDs are mapped to a value on the stock exchange. Here, too, a lever is used which can have an effect on profit and loss. Small starting capital from 1$.
- Shares and ETFs: Through securities, you can participate in companies. Profits and losses resulting from price fluctuations. In addition, a dividend is distributed by the company. The starting capital for this can be variable depending on the share / ETF price.
- Futures: Forward contracts require a larger starting capital because the position sizes and the tick value are very high. In my opinion, you should not start with futures with accounts below 5000$, as it makes no real sense. Very high starting capital 5000$+ is needed.
- Options and certificates: These are popular leverage products among conservative investors. The starting capital is in the middle range. Options can be traded from just a few hundred euros. Starting capital medium +- 500$.
Forex and CFDs are best suited for any private trader
Do you want to start trading? – Then Forex (currencies) and CFDs (difference contracts) are best suited. The advantage here is that you can adjust your position size variable in small steps. Denominations and very small as well as large position sizes are possible. The Forex market is one of the most liquid markets in the world and is also very popular because there are many trends.
Example of FX and CFD trading with leverage:
You want to trade Euro/USD with 100$ and have an account with a leverage of 1:30. This multiplies your 100$ x 30 and results in a position size of 3000$. Of course, this does not have to be exhausted completely, because the trader determines the position size.
The risk is determined by a stop loss. It is an automatic loss limit that closes your position at a certain price. If your position in the size of 3000$ now loses the value of 100$ and is only worth 2900$, you automatically end the position.
- Account size 1000$
- The risk should be 100$ (Stop Loss with 100$ risk)
- The margin of the position size of 3000$ is 100$ (leverage 1:30)
- The 3000€ are worth by the market situation 2900$
- The position closes automatically and you get 100$ deducted from your account balance.
- Account size is now 900$ high
- The same applies in the event of a win
Choose a reputable provider that allows small and large minimum deposit
Choose a reputable provider that has a low minimum deposit. So you can test the real money trading with small capital first before you want to invest with large capital. The minimum deposit with the out recommended providers is 0 – 10$.
In more than 6 years of experience, we have tested various providers and now present you with the top 3. They are characterized by low fees and good support. The trading platforms are optimal and the execution of the trades works very fast.
|1. IQ Option|| (5 / 5) |
➜ Read the review
|Starting 1.0 pips||+ FX & Options |
+ Best platform
+ Start with $10
|2. BDSwiss|| (5 / 5) |
➜ Read the review
|Starting 0.0 pips||+ Individual offers |
+ Trading signals
+ Personal service
|3. XM|| (5 / 5) |
➜ Read the review
|Starting 0.0 pips + 3.5$ commission per 1 lot||+ Good conditions |
+ 1,000 Assets
+ Personal service
Account opening and the first deposit
Opening an account with an online broker is very easy. In a few minutes, you can configure an account. The broker needs some personal information from you and will ask you about your trading experience. The demo account can already be used without real money deposit.
Before you can trade real money, the online broker must verify your person. You will need to upload an identity card and proof of residence. In a few minutes to hours, the documents will be accepted and all functions will be ready for you.
The capitalization of the account usually does not cost any fees and can work in real-time. Use familiar methods: PayPal, credit card, Sofortüberweisung, bank transfer, e-wallets, cryptocurrencies. Broker support will help you immediately if you have any questions.
Facts about account opening:
- Quick and easy account opening
- The account must be verified before the first deposit is made (not always but we recommend it)
- Deposits with known payment methods in real-time are possible
- Deposits without fees
With how much seed capital does trading make sense?
Let’s be honest. With a deposit of a few Dollars, trading doesn’t make sense in our opinion. What do you expect from online trading and what are your goals? You have to ask yourself this first. From our experience, trading only makes real sense from 500$ capital or higher. Among them, our time would be too badly managed for us personally, and we could also work normally instead of a few cents on rising and falling prices.
In the beginning, it is, of course, a real advantage to invest with a few cents and this should be used by every beginner to gain the first experiences. After getting used to it, you should ask yourself what goals you want to achieve with trading.
Professional Risk Management is necessary
Professional traders use risk management of 1-2% per position in the overall portfolio. With an account of 100$, you get a risk of 1-2%. The annual returns per year are between 10% and 50% if you use sensible risk management. Of course, this is even up to the trader, who chooses his position sizes.
An investment of maybe 50$ can be suitable for testing, but you will be better off if you use more capital.
Sensitive risk management:
- For the beginning a few cents are enough for testing.
- With very small capital no sensible risk management of 1-2% is possible.
- In our opinion, trading only makes sense from 500$ on.
Conclusion: The minimum deposit is depending on the financial products
As you have learned in the article above, you need at least 0 – 10$ as starting capital for trading. It depends on the minimum deposit at the Online Broker. So traders can start trading the markets with a very small amount of capital. In addition, beginners can test the free demo account and simulate the markets.
As a trader, one should use a safe and suitable risk management, so that one does not destroy his account in a loss phase too fast. With a very small capital, it is unfortunately not possible to use meaningful risk management correctly. Therefore, in our opinion, an investment of a minimum of 500$ is necessary. Otherwise, we don’t think it’s worth the effort.
We hope that this page has given you a good insight into the possibilities of investing in the financial markets. Ultimately, every trader must decide for himself which seed capital he wants to use. There is no clear instruction here.
Good luck with trading.
Online Trading is possible with any type of capital but you should be aware of professional risk management otherwise you will burn it fast.